Department of Chemistry
Chemistry is the study of matter and its transformation. As per American Chemical Society, the science of chemistry is involved in everything that we do, be it hearing, tasting, seeing, touching or smelling. Human body itself is a beautiful creation of chemicals and chemical reactions. Thus everyone of us is knowingly or unknowingly involved in chemistry. To understand the complex world, we need to know the chemistry happening around us. A proper understanding of chemistry enables us to address the most important challenging issues concerning the mankind in various fields of agriculture, medicine, industries, transport, science, technology, environment etc. Chemistry is thus the central science and studying chemistry helps us to live our lives better on this planet.
Aim and Objective
The Department of Chemistry at Govt. Degree College Pampore came in to existence in 2018. The department is supplemented by a chemistry lab containing the necessary glassware, instruments and chemicals for smooth transaction of practical knowledge to the UG students. The department of chemistry envisions to provide quality chemical education to the students at par with national and global standards. It aims to inculcate among the students of chemistry fraternity, the highest standards of intellectual, moral and ethical values. The department aims to impart chemical knowledge (both theoretical and practical) so as to carve the niche for the research/scientific temper with in the chemistry student fraternity. The creation of excellent teaching-cum research atmosphere can lead to generation of quality human resource to serve people across all walks of life, thereby, contributing to the regional and national development.
|Name of the faculty||Qualification||Designation|
|Dr. Shabir Hussain Lone||MSc. PhD, JRF-NET, SET||Assistant Professor and Head|
Chemistry is offered as one of the core subjects in a number of subject combinations for students persuing general B.Sc programme at GDC pampore. A detailed subject outcome, course outcome and course outline that is being offered by our affiliating Kashmir University for the six semesters of UG programme is outlined below:
Students after completing the BSc. programme with chemistry as one of the subjects gain tremendous knowledge of both theoretical as well as practical aspects of chemistry. The combined theoretical and practical aspects in the curriculum enable the learners to understand the importance of chemistry in daily life. Studying the whole chemistry curriculum offered to students at UG level will develop them into skilled minds so that they understand the chemical phenomena occurring in nature and simultaneously finding solutions to the complex ones. The curriculum in chemistry is so designed that it opens a sea of opportunities for the/students in Govt as well as Private sector. Students can acquire skills and gain exposure of the modern instrumental techniques that are required in academia as well as R & D. The curricullum is highly enriched that enables students to face the highly competitive exams at State/UT as well as National level.
Course outline 2020 onwards:
|Course Type/Name||Course Code||Theory||Practicals|
|Chemistry||1st||DSC-1/Chemistry||CH120C||Credits 4 Marks 60||Credits 2 Marks 30|
|2nd||DSC-2/Chemistry||CH220C||Credits 4 Marks 60||Credits 2 Marks 30|
|Credits 4 Marks 60||Credits 2 Marks 30|
|4th||DSC-4/Chemistry||CH420C||Credits 4 Marks 60||Credits 2 Marks 30|
|5th||DSE-5/Nuclear Chemistry, Heteroatoms and Solution Thermodynamics
|CH520DA||Credits 4 Marks 60||Credits 2 Marks 30|
|DSE-5/Chemistry of biomolecules
|CH520DB||Credits 4 Marks 60||Credits 2 Marks 30|
|CH620DA||Credits 4, Marks 60||Credits 2 Marks 30|
|DSE-6/Environmental and Green Chemistry
|CH620DB||Credits 4 Marks 60||Credits 2 Marks 30|
Course outcomes for the courses in chemistry (2020 onwards) offered by the affiliating Kashmir University.
|Subject||Semester||Course type/ Course code||Course Outcome|
|The students after learning the course will be able to:
1. Understand the nature and strength of forces between chemical constituents.
2. Understand the applications of different theories of chemical bonding.
3. Gain knowledge about the chemical reactivity of S-Block elements.
4. Understand stereochemical aspects of organic molecules.
5. Acquire knowledge of aromaticity and reaction intermediates.
6. Understand the structural and behavioral aspects of matter in solid, liquid and gaseous states.
|2nd||DSC/CH220C||The students after learning the course will be able to:
1. Understand the structure, bonding, synthesis, properties and use of the various compounds of P-block elements.
2. Acquire knowledge about the chemical properties of aliphatic hydrocarbons.
3. Gather knowledge of aliphatic substitution, aromatic substitution and elimination reaction mechanisms.
4. Understand the rates of second, third order reactions, the dependence of reaction rate on temperature and comparative account of photochemical and thermal reactions.
|3rd||DSC/CH320C||The students after learning the course will be able to understand:
1. The trends in the chemical and physical properties of transition and inner transition elements along with their compounds.
2. The preparation and chemical reactions of alcohols, phenols and ethers.
3. Laws of thermodynamics and their application to chemical and phase equilibria.
|4th||DSC/CH420C||The students after learning the course will be able to understand:
1. The structure, bonding and isomerism in various types of complexes.
2. The preparation and chemical reactions of carbonyl compounds.
3. The electrochemistry of electrodes and cells.
4. The limitation of classical mechanics and importance of quantum mechanics.
|5th||DSE*/CH520DA||The students after learning the course will be able to understand:
1. The nuclear structure, radioactivity and its applications.
2. The preparation and chemical reactivity of nitro-compounds, amines and aromatic heterocycles.
3. The applications of thermodynamic principles to solutions
|5th||DSE/CH520DB||The students after learning the course will be able to understand:
1. The structure and properties of biomolecules (carbohydrates, amino acids, proteins, lipids, DNA, RNA) and their role in bio-systems.
2. The importance of metal ions in bio-systems.
3. The application of thermodynamics to bio-system
|6th||DSE/CH620DA||The students after learning the course will be able to understand:
1. The regions of electromagnetic spectrum and its interactions with matter.
2. The underlying principles involved in transitions (rotational, vibrational, electronic NMR), interpretation of the corresponding spectra and applications
|6th||DSE/CH620DB||The students after learning the course will be able to understand:
1. The harmful impacts of chemicals on the environment.
2. The design of a green process/reaction in lab.
3. The synthesis of industrially important chemicals using green approach.
Teaching-Learning and Evaluation
The department of chemistry is committed to provide the student community such highly effective teaching learning and evaluation methods which can contribute to the better regular academic performance of the students in chemistry. In addition to the conventional lecture method, we at department of chemistry rely greatly on some important teaching pedagogies like group- discussion, assignments, ICT based methods like use of chemsketch to learn drawing and converting 2D in to 3D structures, molecular 3D models, use of smart boards, audio-visual lectures and power point presentations with animations to impart the chemistry knowledge effectively.
Apart from the final term end examinations conducted by our affiliating University of Kashmir, we evaluate our students through oral examinations, presentations, assignments, problem solving abilities, regular class tests (both objective and subjective), open book examination and pratising, conduct and reporting of experiments in chemistry lab.
|Semester||Batch||No of students enrolled|
|5th and 6th||2018||16|
|3rd and 4th||2019||16|
|1st and 2nd||2020||16|
Transactional Curriculum and Evaluation Plan